Things to Look for in a Criminal Defense Attorney
When you are facing criminal charges, it is crucial to find an experienced defense attorney who is capable of protecting your legal rights. Dealing with a criminal offense is a serious matter that shouldn’t not be taken lightly. Having the right legal representation behind you can be the difference between leaving the court room in handcuffs or walking away with your freedom. In this blog, we tell you the things you should look for in a criminal defense attorney.
Ask About The Attorney’s Background & Experience
When searching for a criminal defense attorney, experience is key. Ask the following questions to any attorneys you interview about your case:
- How long has the attorney been practicing criminal law?
- What school did the attorney graduate from?
- Does the attorney belong or contribute to professional organizations or bar associations?
- What other areas of law does the lawyer practice?
- Does the attorney have a solid relationship with the prosecutor’s office?
- Does the attorney take the majority of their cases to trial or do they tend to urge clients to take plea deals?
- Does the lawyer appear in court on behalf of their clients?
Get a Case Review
After you have asked the questions listed above, ask the attorney about what they will do to handle your case. These questions can help you evaluate the attorney’s legal strategy:
- What are the consequences you will face if you plead guilty to the charges against you?
- Is there is a way for you to be charged for a lesser crime?
- Does the attorney think it’s a good idea to take your case to trial? If so, why?
- What facts in your case appear to be working in your favor?
- What facts can hurt your defense strategy?
- What does the lawyer think the best legal strategy is for your particular situation?
- What obstacles does the attorney expect you will encounter throughout the legal process?
Does the Lawyer Have Strong Negotiation Abilities?
Your goal should be to find a lawyer who is a skilled negotiator and is willing to pursue the best possible deal on your behalf. Ask prospective lawyers about how they will highlight the weak aspects in the prosecutor’s case and cast doubt on their strategy to charge you with a crime. If you want to avoid going to trial, find a lawyer who is capable of negotiating a fair plea agreement.
Talk to an Arlington Criminal Defense Lawyer Today
At Labovitz Law Firm, we have been helping clients facing criminal charges for more than 16 years. Our team of attorneys have the skills and resources that you need to obtain a positive case result. We can assess your case and determine a strong legal stagey that will protect your rights. Let us fight for you.
Call (817) 803-2844 to schedule your free consultation with our trusted lawyers in Arlington.