Can I Modify Child Custody?

Family courts believe stability and consistency are paramount to a child’s well-being and, as such, it generally requires a substantial change in circumstances for a judge to consider modifying the order that is currently in place.

Before you take your child custody modification case to court, however, you may want to try working out a new arrangement with your former spouse. If you can manage to negotiate a new schedule together, this will be the best course of action. That said, you will still need the approval of the court to ensure it serves the best interests of the children.

Petitioning the Court to Modify Child Custody

There are a variety of circumstances in which child custody may be modified. Ultimately, to be successful, you must prove that the modification continues to support your children’s best interests.

Here are some of the circumstances in which a judge may grant a modification of child custody:

- You are physically relocating

- Your former spouse refuses to comply with the terms of your current child custody order

- The needs of your children changed

- Your situation changed

- Your children are in danger in their current situation

Additionally, a judge will examine the following factors in such cases:

- The relationship you and your co-parent have

- The involvement each parent has in their children’s lives

- The living environment each parent can provide

- Difficulties with the current child custody plan

- If either parent engaged in any deliberate acts to prevent the other from spending time with the children

Much like the original child custody order, the best interests of children will be the driving force behind the decision of a judge in a modification case.

Call Our Law Office to Discuss the Details of Your Child Custody Modification Case Today!

If you need to make changes to your current child custody order because of a substantial change of circumstances, the family law team at Labovitz Law Firm can provide the skilled legal guidance you need to achieve the results you are seeking. Our attorneys are backed by 16 years of experience and a history of success, so you can rest assured your case will be in good hands with our team. We know how important your children are to you and will smoothly guide you through every step of your modification case.

Reach out to our law office today at (817) 374-4056 to set up a free initial case evaluation with one of our experienced family law attorneys to learn more about what we can do for you.


We Are Here for You!
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side