If you or a loved one has been accused of a crime, it's absolutely crucial that you enlist the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney in Arlington, TX. For nearly every crime, prosecutors will seek the maximum penalties, putting both your freedom and your future at risk.
At Labovitz Law Firm, we have more than 16 years of experience fighting for the rights of the accused. After an arrest, our team of skilled legal professionals can help you understand your rights, evaluate your options, and devise a plan of action.
How Labovitz Law Firm Can Help You
Most crimes carry with them the possibility of incarceration, heavy fines, probation, and more. This not only threatens your current freedom, it also jeopardizes your chances of securing future employment, housing, student loans, and more.
When you need a criminal defense attorney in Arlington or a surrounding area, you can rely on Labovitz Law Firm for:
- Personalized attention
- Aggressive litigation
- Open, honest communication
- Answers to your questions
- Skilled representation
Arrested? Get a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Arlington, TX Now
Regardless of whether this is your first run-in with the criminal justice system or not, an arrest can be an intimidating experience. To make matters worse, the process that follows it is often confusing. At Labovitz Law Firm, we are passionate about providing people with the information and tools they need to successfully navigate circumstances such as these.
How to act during an arrest:
- Remain calm and respectful: Your behavior during an arrest can be used against you later on. Try to remain as calm as possible during an arrest and speak respectfully to law enforcement. If they mistreat you, your lawyer can use that as evidence against them.
- Assert your right to remain silent: You will have to comply with law enforcement and give them basic identifying information. If they ask you incriminating questions politely refuse to answer and say that you would like to speak with your lawyer.
- Call a lawyer as soon as possible: It is always beneficial to get a lawyer involved in your case as soon as possible. A lawyer can make sure that your rights are upheld and that you have the best possible chance at a positive outcome.
What to expect after an arrest:
- You will be taken to jail.
- Your information will be processed.
- You will be taken to a holding facility or main jail.
- You will need to post bail to be released.
- Your case will be processed by the prosecution.
- You will face formal charges.
- Your case will be assigned to a Court.
The above information may not apply to all charges. To get an accurate picture of what to expect in your specific case, speak with an Arlington criminal defense lawyer. The sooner you get a lawyer involved in the process that takes place after an arrest, the better. An attorney can explain your legal options to you and help you navigate the system.
For further reading on what you should do after being arrested in Texas, our blog shares more insight.
What is a Felony Charge in Texas?
A felony charge in Texas is the most serious charge you could receive. There are various felony classes with punishments that range from 180 days in jail to life in prison. Other punishments could include up to a $10,000 fine and community service.
What Are the Levels of Criminal Charges?
There are three levels of criminal charges – felony, misdemeanor, and infraction.
Felony – These are the most serious crimes that carry the most severe punishments.
Misdemeanor – These are crimes that are less serious than a felony. These charges are punished with less than one year in jail.
Infractions – These crimes do not typically carry a jail sentence. An infraction usually comes with a fine that can be paid without going to court. Examples of an infraction include speeding, parking in a no-parking zone, etc.
How Long Can You Be Held in Jail Without Being Charged in Texas?
In Texas, someone can be held in jail for 90 days before the prosecutors formally indict that person in front of a grand jury. If the indictment is successful, then the case will proceed to a court trial.
How We Can Help
Our firm can help with the following and more:
- Drug Crimes
- Domestic Violence
- White Collar Crimes
- Theft Crimes
- Sex Crimes
- Juvenile Crimes
- Weapons Charges
- Assault & Battery
Contact Labovitz Law Firm Today to Arrange Your FREE Consultation
With over 16 years of experience, our Arlington criminal defense attorneys have the resources, experience, and knowledge to help you navigate the legal process. We take the time to understand every unique detail of your specific situation, providing personalized assistance you can trust. If you've been charged with a crime, your freedom is at stake. Let our firm guide you with sound advice, answers to your questions, and skilled representation.