Schedule A Free Consultation (817) 210-6369

Labovitz Law Firm Blog

Can I Modify My Child Support Order?

Posted by Eric Labovitz | Aug 12, 2020 | 0 Comments

Your child support order may not always be appropriate for you or your children. Life constantly changes and sometimes these changes warrant post-divorce modifications. That said, any parent who wishes to petition the court to request child support modification must demonstrate that circumstances have changed considerably since the order was initially made.

If you and your former spouse are friendly enough, you should consider working out an agreement together. You will still need to have it signed and approved by a judge, but the process will be far less stressful and consume less time.

Petitioning the Court to Modify Child Support

As mentioned above, to successfully petition the court for a child support modification, there must be a substantial change in circumstances.

Below are some examples of substantial changes in circumstances in which you may be able to successfully obtain a modification:

- Your children's needs changed (increased medical or educational expenses, for example)

- One parent became involuntary unemployed

- One parent's income substantially increased

- One parent received an involuntary pay cut

If a parent voluntarily quits a job or accepts a lower paying job in an attempt to reduce support payments, a judge will not decrease the child support payments. Parents cannot evade financial responsibility for their children by lowering their income.

It is also possible for child support payments to be temporarily decreased if the paying parent becomes involuntarily unemployed. Payments may resume once the parent finds a new job and is capable of fulfilling this obligation. However, if the unemployed parent cannot find a job that pays as well as the previous job did, a judge may permanently reduce that parent's support payments to reflect the parent's new income.

Set Up a Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney to Discuss Your Case Today!

If you are seeking a modification to your current child support order, the legal team at Labovitz Law Firm can provide the knowledgeable guidance you need to navigate every step of the process. We understand that life always changes and will help you obtain a modification that is suitable for your situation. Whether you are requesting an increase or a decrease, you can rely on us for experienced representation.

Reach out to our law office today at (817) 374-4056 to set up a free initial case review with a member of our team to learn more about your options and how we can help.

About the Author

Eric Labovitz

Attorney Eric Steven Labovitz is an experienced trial attorney who is passionate and highly skilled in the field of criminal law. He excels in taking cases to trial but understands that trial may not be the ideal solution to every case. Instead, he works with his clients to determine goals for th...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Labovitz Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about Criminal Defense, Family Law, Estate Planning, and Probate law issues in Fort Worth, Texas.

We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.