When it comes to any child-related matter, family courts focus on supporting the child's best interests. As such, if you are in the middle of a child custody dispute, there are many factors a judge will examine when rendering a decision to ensure these best interests are protected. The better you understand them, the more effectively you will navigate this delicate legal matter.
The Best Interests of the Child
There are numerous factors a judge reviews when determining what kind of arrangement will best support a child's best interests and each is weighted equally.
Below are some of the many factors that come into play:
- Confirmed evidence of abuse or neglect by either parent
- How the children may be affected by the child custody arrangement
- Each parent's ability to care for the child's emotional wellbeing, physical needs, and medical care
- Each parent's ability to provide a safe, loving, and stable living environment
- Under some circumstances, if the child is old enough and mature, a judge may consider the child's wishes
- The living accommodations each parent can provide
- Each parent's physical and mental wellbeing
- Each parent's willingness to support one another's relationship with the child
- The quality of the relationship the child has with each parent
- Each parent's wishes
- If one parent has provided the majority of childcare up to this point
- The age of the child
- If either parent brought false allegations of abuse to court against the other
- Any other factors that may be pertinent in rendering a child custody decision
Child custody is an important issue that family courts take seriously, so it is essential to hire an experienced family law attorney who can advise and guide you through each step of the process and ensure the bond you have with your child remains intact and protected.
Schedule a Consultation with a Compassionate Child Custody Attorney Today!
If you are getting divorced and you are trying to secure a favorable child custody arrangement that protects the best interests of your child, you need to consult with an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible. At Labovitz Law Firm, our family law team is committed to helping families get through some of the most challenging and delicate legal matters. Backed by more than 16 years of experience and a track record for success, you can trust in our ability to obtain the best possible results for your case.
Reach out to our law office today at (817) 374-4056 to set up a free initial consultation with a member of our team.